Communalism is considered a blind faith and allegiance to once own religious community. The religious community is a group the members of which contain a similar type of type of religious practices and moral commitments. It is considered a fixed belief that ultimately generates religious fundamentalism and dogmatism in our culture. This doctrine states that society is divided into different religious groups whose commitments, ideologies, and aspirations differ from each other. The ideology of communalism is characterized by social division based on religion that often leads to resentment, antagonism and grievances between them.
Development of social differences based on religious principles leads to acrimony, tension and rioting between clerics. Some people associate this concept with political doctrine, which is used to achieve political objectives by creating disparities among masses by using religion as a tool.
Effects of Communalism
1. Communalism creates friction and conflict among peoples.
2.This ideology creates violence and contentions between different religious communities.
3. It destroys true sense of secularism and national integration
4. Communalism throughout all minorities from mainstream of the nation.
5. It creates religious jingoism that is the highest form of dogmatism.
6.Communism divides society into religious minority and majority sect.
Reasons of communal Violence in India
- The divide and rule policy was introduced by the British in sub-continent. This policy nourished violence by dividing peoples based on religious association
- Partition of sub-continent created antagonism between Muslim and Hindus.
- Two nation theory proposed by Quaid Azam was not accepted by the Hindu community since inception.
- Muslims of India were deprived of from basic rights that seeded the violence between both major groups. This historical evidence also supports current communal violence in India.
- Social and cultural dissimilarities between Hindu and Muslim destroy the way of religious coordination and acceptance from both sides. These differences created divergence and divided whole social setup between two distinct communities